The American Society of Home Health Inspectors is warning about a new digital pool thermo-sensor that may be the culprit behind the spike in cases reported in Pennsylvania.
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) issued a bulletin Wednesday, saying that digital pool sensors have increased in number and scope.
It also noted that the new devices can potentially damage the devices.
The new devices have a large battery that can be charged by placing the device into a USB port on the wall or ceiling, the bulletin said.
This means they are a “high-risk” device, according to ASTM.
They are also prone to catching on fire, according the bulletin.
“We have been seeing the use of these devices and other digital thermometers on the market increase exponentially,” said Steve Wills, an ASTM expert on thermometers and the technology.
“What we are seeing now is that the manufacturers are selling these devices as an alternative to traditional pool thermometers, and the manufacturers have made the devices seem safe.”
The new device is called a Digital Pool Temperature Control System (DPCS).
According to the ASTM bulletin, the DPCS device is designed to measure ambient temperatures in a room or space, with the temperature reading read out on the sensor’s touchscreen.
It can read up to a temperature of 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit.
“The device is made with a glass panel with an adhesive pad on the surface and a magnetic strip in between the two, and when the magnetic strip is removed, the panel will be removed,” the bulletin states.
“When removed, it will be completely covered by a plastic cover.
Once the cover is removed the device can be removed, allowing the device to be cleaned with a wire brush.”
The ASTM also noted the device has a battery that has been tested to work for 30 days.
The device has not been approved for use in homes, and there is no information on how the device is intended to be used.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health is investigating the problem.
It has not yet issued a report, but said the device should not be used in an enclosed space.